Monday, February 16, 2009

In a mess

The first time I took such a bad decision... I convinced the top to buy me a couple of Sun UltraSparc T5120 machines for our maps portal . All was well and rosy. I couldn't stop blabbering about these monstrous machines. Post setup and deployment, it goes into the testing stage and WHOA! Search times have gone low by at-least 10 times!

Traced it down to the fact that Lucene (one of the components I use in the search engine) does not run well (?) on UltraSparc platform! I split the index and used the ParallelSearcher on it. Result was still the same. No idea how I'm gonna go about it. For now, I've put this part on an AMD Opteron machine and its doing well. But I have no answer, except a sorry to give to my management. In times like this, a mistake as big as this might just cost me a lot more than it would have otherwise.

No comments: